Experience On Both Sides Of The Court Room

Answers To Common Criminal Defense Questions

After being charged with a crime, you may find yourself with far more questions than answers. Please read through this list of criminal defense FAQs and then schedule a consultation at our firm to learn more about your rights and legal options.

Should I hire an attorney or use a public attorney?

If you choose to hire The Law Office of Jeffrey Chabrowe, you are getting an attorney with nearly two decades of criminal law experience, including seven years as a prosecutor. With experience on both sides of the courtroom, Jeffrey Chabrowe can anticipate the prosecution’s moves and create strategies to overcome them.

Most public defenders have very high caseloads and may not be able to give you the time and attention that you deserve. However, public defenders are court-appointed, free of charge, and offer a very valuable service for people who can’t afford an attorney.

The final decision on whether to hire an attorney should be based on the value that you place on the experience and skills of Jeffrey Chabrowe versus those of a public defender.

When can I assert my right to remain silent?

You can always assert your right to remain silent, regardless of the situation. It is always better to say nothing until you have had a chance to meet with an attorney. All you have to do is tell the police you’d prefer to remain silent until you’ve had a chance to speak with your attorney.

Do police need to read me my Miranda rights?

In most cases, yes. If the police do not read you your Miranda rights, anything you say could be inadmissible in court.

Should I accept a plea deal instead of going to trial?

Never make a decision until you have had time to discuss the pros and cons with your attorney. Remember that the prosecutor does not have your best interests in mind when offering a plea deal; only a defense attorney who is looking out for your welfare can advise you whether accepting the plea deal is your best course of action.

Can I file an appeal?

Yes, but only if there were issues that were not presented and could have affected the outcome of the trial. If you can show that you were the victim of ineffective counsel, you may be able to appeal your sentence and get a new trial.

Find Answers To Your Questions In An Initial Consultation

To schedule an initial consultation, call The Law Office of Jeffrey Chabrowe at 212-235-1510 or fill out our online contact form. Personalized, attentive service is available 24/7.